It is no secret around here that I love all things Pinterest! My husband doesn’t even have to ask where I found out about a new recipe or cool craft to do with the children anymore. He already knows the answer! I have a pin board just for the kids – a must check out for all parents and grandparents!
The moment I saw the calming jar idea I knew I had to make one quickly. With three very spirited children in the house and many who want to ask me a million questions while cooking dinner – this would become a dear gift to me. I was right. They love it and now ask for the jar when they just need to settle down.
Here is what you need:
- 16 oz glass jar with lid that will close tightly
- Assorted colors of glitter glue
- Assorted colors of glitter
- Food coloring
- 2 cups hot water
- Boil water and add to jar (be careful touching jar if water is too hot!!!!) I let the water sit for about 10 minutes before starting to make the jars. You can also use very hot tap water.
- Add 1-2 tsp. of glitter glue (pick two colors that go well together).
- Add 1-2 tsp of glitter that matches the color
- Add 1 drop of food coloring – more for a darker tint.
- Screw on lid very tightly and shake it all together. Then let it cool to a safe temperature for kids to hold. With little ones under the age of 6 – you shake and they sit and watch. That way no accidents can happen (ie dropping of glass jar or little ones working diligently to open it!).
When they are done looking at it – I put the jars up high so no one has the opportunity to accidently break it! Just sayin’ – 2 cups of glitter all over the floor with food dye would be a nightmare to clean up!!!
Our 15 year old daughter is glitter/sparkle crazy and she begged me to make one just for her. Let’s just say it has been a gift to her as well. She uses it often to just watch and relax!
I think these would make great teacher gifts. Not to mention you could make one for your desk too and enjoy a little sparkle throughout the day to remind you to take a deep breath and relax!
Me, I just go hang out with Charlie and ahhhhh relaxation wins me over!
Wishing you a blessed and beautiful day!