I ORIGINALLY POSTED THIS A FEW YEARS AGO. IT IS A GREAT PLACE TO START IF YOU ARE NEW TO HEALING YOUR BODY WITH FOOD. WE ARE NOW (JAN 2017) 100% A KETOGENIC FAMILY. ANY QUESTIONS CLICK ON CONTACT ABOVE.
WOW! I don’t know if you were one of the lucky ones to watch the incredible week of lectures by 38 top doctors on autoimmune disease last year for FREE! But if not, here is some incredible news…
The #AutoimmuneSummit was amazing!!!!! Catch the top speakers from the summit, and purchase lifetime access to all 38 talks here: Click on the photo to hear the introduction for the summit
Watching each talk literally woke up my voice to speak up about what we can each do to get healthy naturally!
If you have spent anytime on my blog over the years, then you know natural health is a major passion of mine and what drives me each day to take better of myself and family!
Yesterday, I spent five hours listening to the five top interviews above and took a ton of notes. What I am going to share with you today are the things that struck out to me the most and how we can all begin to implement them right now to see positive changes in our health.
What was most encouraging to me is that ALL of the doctors agreed on one thing…gluten is not our friend. It is a major cause of inflammation in the body. Inflammation in the body equals the root of all disease.
So how do we get rid of the inflammation and begin to regain our health. I'll be sharing why our family has chosen to eat a ketogenic diet and what that looks like for each of us. But until then you can glean a ton of great tips below.
#1 Learn everything you can about what gluten is and how it is in everything that is man made (processed foods) and even the gluten free substitutes are now causing our bodies excess toxic overloads. LOWER YOUR CARB LOAD! Begin by reading the following blog post below…
#2 They all agree that a good night sleep is a MUST. Meaning we need to make it a priority in our lives to safe guard a good night sleep no matter what.
Here are some of the take-aways that we can each begin doing today: GOAL SHOULD BE 8-9 hours of RESTORATIVE SLEEP
- Set a bed time and stick to it. CONSISTENTLY!
- No computer or cell phone for an hour before bed.
- Spend a 1/2 hour outside in natural day light each day. Best time to do this is around noon. It can be broken up throughout the day, but be sure you get natural light on your face and body for 1/2 hour. Sitting by a window is a good substitute if you truly can get outdoors. But if you physically can, then do it! Each time you walk your dog counts. Going to get the mail counts.
- Buy amber light bulbs to use in lamps at night once the sun goes down so you can help your bodies natural sleep rhythm. Use these bulbs in a lamp next to your bed if you read at night too and in your bathroom.
- Sleep in total darkness. Blackout shades are our friends. Sleep masks are our friends. Learn to love them.
- If you MUST work at night or be on your phone once it is dark outside, then install flux on your computer and cell phone or an app called Twilight. They work just like the amber light bulbs do – removing the blue light that disturbs our natural sleep rhythm.
- Sleep is our master clock inside of our brain and body – it is set by light! Thus, our needing to go outside each day in natural sun light. It also sets our cortisol levels and if these are NOT right, well you can bet your body and brain are NOT functioning correctly either!
- If you want to heal adrenal fatigue and many other autoimmune diseases, then make sleep a priority in your life!
#3 You are what you eat. Hello my daily motto and life saying, “EAT TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO EAT!”
They all recommended get off gluten for at least 30-60 days. Remove all the foods that are known to cause inflammation in the body: dairy, gluten, corn, grains, and legumes.
They all recommended a diet rich in healthy fats (organic extra virgin coconut oil, olive oil, hempseed oil, avocadoes, nuts and seeds), grass-fed beef, free range chicken that are not feed GMO grains, wild fish, and eggs. Your biggest portion on your plate each meal should be organic fruits and vegetables.
- Fiber is key to healing the gut and autoimmune challenges. Foods that are high in fiber but low in carbs are: flax seeds, chia seeds, jicima, avocadoes, and broccoli.
- Vegetables that are close to all fiber: Mustard Greens, Chicory, and Endive.
- Avoid raw fish and processed soy.
- Eat foods that stabilize your blood sugar. (Look into organic apple cider vinegar and how this can help eliminate inflammation and stabilize blood sugar).
- Drink TWO HUGE glasses of water after waking up. Go to the bathroom, brush teeth, and start drinking! Watch how this little change can bring about huge benefits to your health!
- Drink 1/2 your body weight in water each day – especially during the summer months or extreme exercise. Which by the way is NOT always best for people with autoimmune diseases. Find out which forms of exercise are best to help your body heal and feel the best!
#4 Take organic and top quality vitamins that support your immune system!
Here is a list I compiled from several of their talks that were recommended for all of their patients:
- Fish Oil – We take krill oil
- Vit D3 in liquid form
- NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine)
- Milk Thistle
- B6/B12 – Folic Acid
- Vit C
#5 Manage your stress.
This one I know personally is not always easy to do. But we can control our thoughts, not always our circumstances.
A Good Place to Start is to Take my 30 Day Positive Thought Challenge.
Another good place to start after you change your own thought patterns, is forgiving others and yourself. Then allow that forgiveness to help you rebuild broken relationships. Treat each day as a gift. Tomorrow is not promised. So let go of the past and begin to focus on the here and now and create the life you truly desire. Develop a deeper and richer faith walk. That is essential for me! God, is and will always be my number one healer, redeemer, and lover of my soul!
I loved what one of the doctors said at the end of his interview:
- Look at your life with honest eyes and see what needs to change and DO IT!
- Live a life of LOVE, PASSION, and FAITH!
- Don’t play the victim. You didn’t get where you are today without making choices that amount to how you feel and look.
- Educate yourself. You are the best doctor in the world for your body. Then go find a functional medicine doctor in your area that can help you truly reach your health goals! Because you need support and sometimes friends and family can be a major buzz-kill when you are trying to change your life around completely. Let them see the changes you make and follow along. BUT if they are the supportive type, then by all means get them to come along on this amazing journey too!!!!! Having an accountable buddy will also help you succeed!
They are in the air we breathe, the water we drink, and almost everything we touch. So in a modern society like today, doing this might seem impossible. However, there are simple steps you can begin taking today:
- Use all natural cleaners in your home. Make your own with essential oils. Or buy from companies that use ingredients you can pronounce and understand why they are in there. I'll be announcing a completely chemical free option very soon! That makes cleaning fun!!
- Stop using any and all plastic with hot foods and drinks. That means every single one of you who stops for coffee – NO MORE LIDS! Get your own BPA FREE ones that fit standard cups and take them with you and wash them out at home. The toxic overload from drinking hot drinks out of to go cups in your body is SCARY! Do not heat up any food in plastic containers. Which means STOP using a microwave to heat up your food, because it turns healthy food toxic in one zap.
- Replace your hair care products. Our family only uses Beautycounter. You can see a complete list of products we use HERE.
- Replace your skincare products and ladies that goes for your makeup too. I ONLY use Beautycounter .
- Replace what you pack your lunches in to BPA FREE containers.
- Stop drinking water with chlorine in it. Get a filter to remove it and other toxins now found in most water supplies!
- Stop using toxic hand sanitizers. Use your hands often with water and natural/organic soaps. Carry organic hand sanitizers made with essential oils.
Drink 1/2 your body weight in water each day – especially during the summer months or extreme exercise. Which by the way is NOT always best for people with autoimmune diseases. Find out which forms of exercise are best to help your body heal and feel the best!
#8 Understand the role hormones play in your overall health and learn how to normalize yours.
This one you are going to need to find a healthcare professional to work this out specific to your bodies needs, especially as it heals. Because it will change from when you start this journey to when your body finally is working in optimal condition.
This one is important to understand, but too big of a topic for me to try and cover. Nor am I qualified to teach you about the awesome way our bodies are created in our mother’s womb. So educate yourselves.
The one thing I will share is this. Your genetics DO NOT have to determine your health or the quality of your life. We truly can turn on or off our genetics by the choices we make…how we think, what we eat, etc. That is why the steps above are all important. Not just focusing on one of them.
#10 LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Yes, its that simple. Even all the hard and yucky stuff. Learn to love it because it is all part of what makes you, YOU!
Love your body and the autoimmune disease you are facing. Love the changes you have to make. Love the food you eat. Love the people in your life. Love the places you go. Love the things you choose to do. Love YOURSELF!
Living a life of gratitude will change your health. Be thankful for the hard days, the help you appreciate the good ones.
Be thankful for this very moment which led you to read my blog. Because it is NO accident you are here.
You are loved by the very God, who created you and no matter how hard your life is and how desperate you are to feel better…He is right here walking you through every step of it all. Loving you!
You now have a choice to make. Will I love even the hard days? Will I make the changes needed to get the results I desire? Will I begin doing what I know is best for me? Will I make time for taking the best possible care of me?
Please be sure you review Affiliate Disclosure to understand compensation for sharing above links!