One of the things you will learn as you begin to research a ketogenic diet is that you need to increase your sodium, potassium, and magnesium intake.
And these gummy bears are a great way to get extra of each of them into our children and ourselves! Not to mention they are a great treat right before bed to help them relax and sleep. Win win moms and dads!
They are very easy to make and you can change up the flavor to match your family's preference. Remember NOT to add too much fruit or any juice with extra sugar - especially if you are going low-carb.
You might be curious why I put collagen into our gummy bears - here is a great post to understand the many healing benefits for all of us.
As you see above I use CALM as one of the main ingredients. Our family has been using this on and off for over 10 years with great success. You can purchase it here.
My favorite coconut water and the only one I drink a few times a week is harmless harvest. It is so pure and refreshing. But I don't drink an entire bottle because it is too high in carbs. However, for the gummies it is the perfect liquid and helps give them extra potassium.
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup organic berries pureed (I use my vitamix) with a dash of coconut water
- 5 TB CALM - we like the one pictured above.
- 4 TB of collagen - gelatin grassfed only.
You can find the molds we use on Try Jill's Fav page.
- Have all ingredients ready to go - making these is a bit like a science experiment - which the kids love watching!
- Simmer coconut water in a 3qt pot (mine are ceramic - best ever!!) but do NOT let it boil - slowly stir in gelatin and make sure you get it all dissolved
- Stir in berry puree
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes
- Add in the CALM one TB at a time and watch it FIZZ!!!!! This is the fun part but can be messy if it goes over the top of your pot (I wouldn't know that :-D )
- Then let it sit for another few minutes until all the fizzing stops.
- Then use the little droppers to add into molds.
- One batch makes about 150 gummy bears and we sometimes need to use other molds to make a few big ones.
- I store them in these glass containers in the refrigerator for about two weeks.
- I give the kids about 4 of them each day.
If you make any of my recipes tag me on Instagram #jillcooksketo and I'll pick a few to show my followers!
Please be sure you review Affiliate & Health Disclosure to understand compensation for sharing above links!